Friday, July 9, 2010

Numb Brain

Today my mom and I drove to pick up our new kitten. He was at least an hour away, and we had to stop for my mom's dentist appointment on the way.

After the appointment, her mouth (and possibly brain- I'm always afraid that might happen when they inject it so close) was completely numb and flabbing around uselessly. I watched as she tried to swallow pain medication and wash it down with orange Gatorade. She had had some sort of reaction to the numbing medication and her heart started having palpitations while the dentist worked, but apparently this is a normal response for her. Watching her try to eat was amusing.

While driving, she asked me to be her navigator and handed me some Google Maps directions. I probably should have told her that I'm bad at navigating. She ended up having to grab the paper from me and read for herself when I couldn't explain what it said (which was often). Traffic began moving incredibly slowly. I decided to entertain myself by looking at the other cars. That's when I notice this truck:
That says "Cover IT with Asphalt". I was disturbed by the fact that "IT" was red and in all caps. What exactly is "IT"? What are you covering with asphalt? Now I won't be able to sleep because I don't understand the meaning of that statement.

Eventually traffic began to crawl again and my mom asked me which exit to take. I told her and she shifted lanes early, but I just assumed she would pass by the next one because it was one too early.

I was wrong. I should have said something.

She seemed to think that "b" came before "a" in the alphabet, and took the wrong exit. This was our conversation:

"That was 27a."

"What? No, it was 27b. B comes first sometimes."

"No, b NEVER comes first. You took 27a."

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did."

"So where do I go now?"

"I don't know. We're lost. Turn around."

We spent the next few minutes driving aimlessly through a crowded city before we found a decent spot to turn around. We finally found the right exit and reached out destination.

Pixel is so adorable, and I'm excited to finally have him with us. I hope his brain is not numb.

No comments:

Post a Comment