Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Caffeine

Yesterday afternoon I fell asleep on the couch while watching the news, so I decided to have some caffinated tea with dinner so I wouldn't fall asleep early and mess up my internal clock, because I had finally convinced my body that it didn't have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning for another two months.

This was a bad decision.

Around 11, most people were offline and I couldn't find anything to do without waking up my sleeping brother, so I decided just to go to bed anyways. My room gets sun in the afternoon. We're also having a giant heat wave, so it was really, really hot in there. I turned on the fan and listened to it hum for a few minutes.

I don't know how long I laid there, trying to fall asleep. I couldn't calm down. I sat in the dark staring at my ceiling and twitching. I felt the need to be in constant motion. I rolled from one side to the other, wincing every time my old matress squeaked.

I drifted in and out of concisousness for the next hour. Once, my finger twitched as it was laying on my other arm, and I slapped it, thinking it was a bug. Another time a car passed the house and its headlights shined through my window. Multiple times I found myself bolting upright, thinking that I needed to go get dressed and get ready to go somewhere right now. I sat in semiconcsiousnous, random bursts of unintelligible thoughts drifting through my head. I ended up having really weird dreams where I was trying to get something, but apparently it was "against the law" to let me walk down the hall to retrieve it even though I remembered the object was totally legal. I think it may have been a bag lunch.

I will never drink caffeine before sleeping. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment